RECENT POSTS

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

What are hats and traits for effective leadership style

As we understand that, Leadership is termed as an ability to influence others to achieve the desired goals and a good leader is surrounded with several attributes including self-confidence, high intelligence, integrity, sociability and conceptual skills. [Laureate Education, Leadership in organizations - Video file].
Being in the better level with the stated attributes, such a leader will be good also in task oriented behaviors and relationship oriented behaviors. For example, a leader in our organization is responsible in helping others to get the tasks done clearly and also to build confidence and recognition to the team members.

I have been into the leadership roles for several times since when I was only 7 years old. I served as a class monitor being at standard one in 1999. I have been a leader in almost all seven years of my primary education. At a such childhood state, I really did not realize what traits of good leadership are but I just knew that I had been chosen to hold a position because I was the best in the class. It was sometimes leaded by being angry and the emotional intelligence from my perspective was very less.
After some years I came to realize what good traits are for an effective leadership. I also understood that most of the qualities of a good leader cut across all the roles, positions and contexts of organization. i.e. Organizational Executives, Heads of units, profit or nonprofit organizations, etc. As per the question, I agree that I possess most of the hats that could influence the performance of the team that I might be leading. [Laureate Education, Leadership in organizations - Video file].
Being as a role model. For some of the students that I got a chance to be their leader, they came to declare that they are learning a lot from my style of leadership and the way that I plan my schedules to ensure that everything goes proper in academic side as well as leadership too. I believed that a good leader builds a relationship for the purpose of helping the team members who are less experienced or less knowledgeable about the tasks. I had to make sure that I make good leaders from me, who would stand and be my successors when my time gets over.
A power of convincing. For instance, when I was a General Secretary of The Youth of United Nations Association at College level. I understood how hard it takes for a person to lead the people in performing volunteering activities that they are neither enforced by university rules nor state rules. It was a huge task for me to make sure that I convince people until when they build that passion of volunteering from within. It was a great achievement for me when I succeeded in several projects in helping the community such as helping the orphans and others in need.
Being as an authority figure. I also understood that a leader must always be on the front line in taking people where they need to be or where an organization needs to go. As per my leadership experience, I understood that I was leading a charity community. It required me to be in front line of what I always preach for the team to do. That also encouraged much and raised the team morale in performing further different activities that out team planned to do.
Being as a coach. I believed that a good leader must work with a team he/she leads in ensuring the good performance. I have been a project manager also for about 3 months in 2016 just after completing my BSc degree. A team had tough deadlines but I used to encourage the team members, making them motivated and giving them hope even when things look like being impossible to get accomplished.
Being as an academician. Our supervisor always expects something good and right from me. In my time as a project manager, I invested much on precision of all the projects that we were supposed to do. I encouraged early completion of every task so that we can get enough time for the review and get rid of minor errors which our manager would not like to see. I also agreed that in most cases, the team members do believe that their leader knows each and everything better than they know even if you are all at the same educational level. Therefore, as a leader I had to be aware of all team objectives and being able to respond to any query delivered to me of describe a right source that can provide e better solution. For example, when I was a leader of The Youth of United Nations Club at College level, I got to receive a lot of questions related to United Nations including those I was not aware with. As a result, I found myself taking a time to get frequently updated with different UN programs and news.
Being a visionary figure. I understand that I am required to show the rest of the members a good way to go forward. I must be able to think beyond the box and embrace the vision of the team I lead. In the whole time that I served as a leader, I always had a vision of imparting something new to my team that would stay as my icon of change after that. I understood that, at the end, the team have to move from one position to another.
Conclusively, the leaders should always remember that they are part of the team and they can only get power from the people around them. By understanding that, I knew that I have been trusted enough by the authorities that placed me there and I had to work with and for the people I was leading. The aim was to make everyone feel comfortable with the leadership style I was applying.
References
Beach, L. R. (2006). Leadership and the art of change: A practical guide to organizational transformation. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Leadership in organizations [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). The many hats of leaders [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

x






x

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2017 i-Learn East Africa. |